Academy Innovation Series
Single Sessions – $39
Academy of Hockey Head Development Coach Matt Ellis and other members of the development staff will lead players through innovative and specific development concepts that are challenging for youth hockey coaches to focus on during the team’s season. While not new to the game of hockey, these game situation and skill concepts will be presented in a unique manner that is essential to growth in these areas.
The Innovation Sessions delivered by our team this season are:
- Face-off’s – Academy Director Kevyn Adams will lead participants in an entire session dedicated to winning face-offs. Face-offs are such a crucial part of today’s game as it is a great opportunity to win puck possession for your team. Coach Adams and the staff will focus on strong and weak-side faceoff concepts, defensive tactics, and overall dot positioning and presence.
- Shooting from the Blue Line – Defense Development Coach Nick Tuzzolino will lead participants in concepts of creating offense from the blue line. Defensemen will focus on footwork to create release zone and shooting lane, utilization of hip turns to create efficiency and power as well as the different shot selection options for each situation.
- “One Timers” – The game of hockey is being played at a faster speed than ever. Because of this pace, players have to be able to get pucks to the net before defenseman can get into shooting lanes and before the goalies can react.
One timers have become such and important tool in scoring goals and we have designed an entire hour to improve players ability to get pucks to the net. Players will concentrate on bottom hand strength, proper release points, and blade positioning which will maximize both release time and power to the net. Finding soft spots in defensive coverage to catch and release as well as getting behind defenders for strong cross body one timers will also be topics covered in this session.
- Attacking the “Paint” – During this session, participants will work on scoring goals in and around the crease. In todays game capitalizing on second opportunities are a must. The Academy staff will show players how to create small spaces around the “paint” (crease) through push offs, Mohawk’s and puck protection. Players will also work on tips, deflections, dirty pucks, net drive, and rebound anticipation to beat the goalie. It’s our goal to provide players a greater understanding of how to work smarter around the net to score more goals. If the player has the willingness to get to the paint, we will give them the tools to turn second chances into goals.
- Forwards VS Defensemen – This session focuses on skill building and implementation. Forwards and defense will be split for the first half, then taking what they learned and putting it into live action.
- Elusive Skating – Skating Development Coach Mike Ansell has built a program to build elusive skating maneuvers. These skating techniques will assist in a players ability to change direction, transition, and puck protect
These sessions are open to travel level players only. To reserve your spot, please utilize the registration form below. Each session is $39 per player.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR PROGRAM
Innovation Series Schedule
- 2008-2009 Squirt Face-offs
- Thursday 10/25/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2006-2007 Pee Wee Getting to the Paint
- Thursday 11/1/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2004-2005 Bantam One Timers
- Thursday 11/8/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2006-2007 Pee Wee One Timers
- Thursday 11/15/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2006-2007 Pee Wee Face-offs
- Thursday 11/29/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2004-2005 Bantam Getting to the Paint
- Thursday 12/6/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2008-2009 Squirt Getting to the Paint
- Thursday 12/13/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2004-2005 Bantam Face-offs
- Thursday 12/20/18 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2007-2009 2007-2009 Elusive Skating Maneuver
- Thursday 1/10/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2008-2009 Squirt Forwards Vs Defensemen
- Thursday 1/17/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2006-2007 Pee Wee Forwards Vs Defensemen
- Thursday 1/24/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2004-2005 Bantam Forwards Vs Defensemen
- Thursday 1/31/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2004-2006 Bantam & Pee Wee Elusive Skating Maneuver
- Thursday 2/7/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2008-2009 Squirt Shooting from the Blue
- Thursday 2/14/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2006-2007 Pee Wee Shooting from the Blue
- Thursday 2/21/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
- 2004-2005 Bantam Shooting from the Blue
- Thursday 2/28/19 4:40 – 5:30pm
Posted in: AOH In-Season 2018